CUSTOMS IN PERU
When you arrive to Peru, you will be entitled of entering articles in your baggage exonerated of the customs duty and other articles will be subject to the Customs Special Treatment of Perú. This regulation is applicable to the Peruvians, foreign residents in Perú and to foreign tourists that enter to the country.
Alert: During your permanency in Peru is absolutely forbidden to acquire and to try to take out of the country archaeological or valuable historical artistic objects. The nonfulfilment of this norm is reason of penal sanctions. Perú has international agreements with most of the countries for the confiscation of these objects when they are taken out of Perú. Avoid taking risks.
Regulation of Baggage
Baggage discharged of the payment of customs duty:
- Garments that are noticed to be of the traveler's personal use.
- Toilet articles appropriate to the passenger's condition.
- Personal objects (use and ornament).
- A hair drier.
- An electric shaving machine.
- A photographic camera and up to five (5) rolls of film.
- A videotape cassette recorder, not for professional use and up to five (5) rolls or cassettes.
- Phonographic disks, recording tapes, compact disks or cassettes, all together for a maximum of ten (10) units.
- Five cassettes for videotape recording.
- A portable electronic calculator.
- Medications of personal use.
- Books, magazines and documents in general.
- Up to twenty (20) packs of cigarettes, or fifty (50) cigars, or two hundred fifty (250) grams of chopped tobacco or in strands, to smoke.
- Up to three (3) liters of liquor.
- Up to three hundred American dollars (US. $300) in diverse articles for personal use, traveler's consumption or gifts, for their quantity, nature and variety they should not be used for their trade, and whenever the unitary value of these articles does not exceed of a hundred American dollars (US $100).
- A mechanic, electric or electronic portable typewriter.
- A wind or cord musical instrument.
- A radio receiver, or a recording radio, or a cassette player, or a tape recorder, or a conventional record player or a compact disk, or a component that contains them all, whenever it is portable, with own energy source (CC/CC-CA).
- Suitcases, bags or other containers of common use that contain the objects that constitute the traveler's baggage.
- The objects declared as baggage at the departure of the country, that are listed in declaration of temporary departure (for Peruvians and residents in Peru).
- An alive animal as pet; without prejudice of demanding the execution of the corresponding sanitary regulations and whenever it arrives as accompanied baggage.
For the case of the handicapped or ill travelers, it will be considered as discharged baggage, the auxiliary means and necessary equipment for their mobilization (wheelchairs, stretchers, crutches among other).
To those smaller than 18 years old, the frank pointed out in the parentheses m. and n. of the present regulation won't be granted.
It is absolutely forbidden the entrance of vegetable, fruit-species or meats in natural state.
Baggage subjects to the Treatment Customs Regime.
- The travelers will be able to bring as baggage, articles not understood in the list before mentioned, paying the unique rate of 20% of the CIF value, to the sum of articles which value does not exceed of a thousand American dollars (US. $1,000) and for a maximum of three thousand American dollars (US. $3,000) per year calendar.
- In case of the electric, electronic articles, tools, supplies and equipment characteristic of the activity, profession or the travelers' occupation, these will not exceed of a (1) unit of each type.
- Personal objects (use and ornament).
If you enter to Peru by air, you should receive on board the plane a format of the Peruvian Customs for the declaration of the articles, which will be filled, still if you do not have any article to declare, writing down your personal data and then the declaration of the articles, if needed.
In the Jorge Chávez International Airport (Lima) the office of Customs is located in the same room in which is carried out the baggage delivery. If you have to do any payment, you should ask for a voucher of the respective payment.
The value of each article will be considered according to the list of appraisals of the Peruvian customs. It is advisable that the traveler carries the voucher of payment of the articles that will be declared for the payment of customs rights.
CIF Value: It is the value of the article in the sale place, plus the value for its transportation until the entrance points to Peru.
The payment of customs rights will be carried out in American dollars or Nuevos Soles.