How to Arrive to Tarapoto City
Where is Peru?: At 1'285,220 sq. Km, Peru is the third-largest country in South America, it limits to the north with Ecuador, to the northeast with Colombia, to the east with Brazil, to the southeast with Bolivia, to the south with Chile and to the west with the Pacific Ocean.
International airlines operate scheduled flights to Peru's Jorge Chávez International Airport, located in Lima - Peru.
- From New York - Newark, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, Mexico and Toronto exist direct flights to Lima.
- From Europe exist direct flights to Lima from Madrid, Paris and Amsterdam.
- Peru has direct flights from the main cities in Latin America as Bogota, Buenos Aires, Caracas, Guayaquil, La Habana, La Paz, Mexico, Panama, Quito, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, Sao Paulo, San Jose de Costa Rica, Santo Domingo.
- Flights from Asia or Oceania to Peru, connection by USA or Europe.
Jorge Chávez International Airport (LIM Airport Code) in Lima is the main gate for international flights and it's the main hub to local flights connections.
How to arrive to Tarapoto City?
The traditional way to get to Tarapoto is by air. From Lima to Tarapoto there are 1,445 Km (898 miles) and need 26 hours for a bus trip, and 1h 15' by air. You can get your connection from Lima to Tarapoto by plane or bus.
Tarapoto city counts with a small and comfortable airport "Comandante FAP Guillermo del Castillo Paredes" (Airport Code TPP); it only attends domestic flights. Normally there are daily flights from Lima, Iquitos and Pucallpa. In the department of San Martin the cities of Moyobamba, Rioja, Tocache and Juanjuí have airports, these cities do not have regular flights. From Tarapoto airport there are regular flights in small planes to towns and communities near Tarapoto and the department of San Martin.
Tarapoto is connected with major cities of Peru by Fernando Belaunde Terry highway (Marginal de la Selva) for 2 main routes, the first extends from Tarapoto to the west via Moyobamba - Olmos where it connects with the North American Highway near to Chiclayo. The 2 ° route is from Tarapoto to south via Tingo Maria - Huanuco and La Oroya where connects with the Central Highway. For both routes connecting with the city of Lima, the most advisable to first, which used the bus companies in Lima and also lets you combine with a visit to Chachapoyas and Kuelap.
There are bus transportation companies with regular daily departures and frequencies from the city of Lima and Chiclayo .
Distances and routes to Tarapoto:
- Lima - Chiclayo - Olmos - Bagua - Rioja - Moyobamba - Tarapoto: 1,445 km (22 hours by bus)
- Lima - Huanuco - Tingo Maria - Tocache - Juanjui - Tarapoto: 1,020 km (20 hours by car).
- Lima - Pacasmayo - Cajamarca - Balsas - Leimebamba - detour to Chachapoyas - Pedro Ruiz: 1.547 km
Distances: From the city of Moyobamba to the following cities:
- Bellavista (Province of Bellavista)214 km (133 miles) / 4 hours
- San José de Sisa (Province of El Dorado)149 km (93 miles) / 4 hours
- Saposoa (Province of Huallaga)254 km (158 miles) / 4 hours and 40 minutes
- Lamas (Province of Lamas)112 km (70 miles) / 2 hours
- Juanjui (Province of Mariscal Cáceres )253 km (157 miles) / 5 hours
- Picota (Province of Picota)176 km (109 miles) / 3 hours and 40 minutes
- Rioja (Province of Rioja)20 km (12 miles) / 20 minutes
- Tarapoto (Province of San Martín) 113 km (70 miles) / 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Tocache Nuevo (Province of Tocache) 427 km (265 miles) / 9 hours and 30 minutes
Tarapoto is connected by road to Yurimaguas port (136 km) along the Huallaga River, where you can embark and sail to the Marañón River and then into the Amazon River to the city of Iquitos, or continue sailing to Brazil and its mouth in the Atlantic Ocean.
Tarapoto has all the communication means , telephone, mail, television, cable television, fax, internet connections, courier services.