Archaeological Places in Ayacucho
With a long history, Ayacucho counts with some of the oldest remains of all South America. The Warpas, were one of the civilizations that inhabited this region (250-500 AD). Then between the VII and XII centuries the Huari Empire ruled the area, that later was governed by the Chancas, another civilization. After that during the XV century, Inca Pachacútec conquest the region and included it to his Empire.
Since 1539 to 1824, it was ruled by the Spanish monarchy.
Vilcashuamán (Quechua voice that means Sacred Falcon)
Archaeological site located in Cangallo, at 110 Km (68 miles) from Ayacucho.
It is recommended to spend one day to visit the city.
Considered as the testimony of power and development of the Chanca pre-Inca civilization.
Since the Inca conquest (XV century), they enhanced their building techniques and their importance in the administration of the Empire, as it was considered as the media point of it.
Vilcashuamán formed by a monumental fortress, very similar to the one of Sacsahuamán and Ollantaytambo. There are located the remains of the citadel, the Osno castle, palaces, grain deposits and military observatories, from where they used to have control of the real Inca roads.
From chronicles of Cieza de León (1538), who accompanied the Conquerors, we know that the "Templo del Sol" (Osno Castle) had a stone altar, that was decorated with precious stones and gold; behind was the palace of the Inca Túpac Yupanqui, some other rooms and deposits of weapons and clothing.
All this megalithic group of buildings has a big wall that surrounds the area. All with different architectural styles according to their governors. Great trapezoidal porches, pyramidal buildings, stairs made of stone, towers, aqueducts, and wall paintings.
According to the Spanish tradition, they built a Catholic Church over the Templo del Sol, to avoid indigenous believes, destroying like this very important remains.
Archaeological site (VII-XI centuries), located near a town called Quinua 20 Km (12.4 miles) north of Ayacucho.
It is advisable to spend half day to visit the city.
Remains of a rounded city. Investigations estimated that it had 40 thousand inhabitants, during its best epoch. Built in stone, with fortresses that were used as administrative headquarters as well as inhabited by indigenous from the Huari pre-Inca culture, later the Chancas conquest the area.
During their development, they used finely carved in stone, figures that were overlapped on plain stone from other constructions corresponding to their first stage.
It has high and thick walls. Also found three floors underground, with many monolithic sculptures, and caves that were used as funeral parlors, called "Chaukallas".
This archaeological center bill with a museum, and the last restorations will offer him an excellent experience.
Prehistoric remain, located in the city of Huanta. There were found in a cave, stone gadgets from hunters, and extinguished animal fossils. This remains data from 20,000 years ago, becoming the most ancient ones ever found in America.