"In their biggest part built during the seventeenth century, they
participate more or less, of the frizzy Churrigueresque style that, sometimes,
coexists and contrasts in a strange way with the severe style of the Spanish
Renaissance. .... With the pompous size altars, the profusion of golden of
Solomonic columns, the ornamentation of round and bent unlikely lines, our
churches raise the old women image that conserved and used the bustles and
complicated knots, their remote youth's extravagant fashion. In any event they
possess historical character and they communicate it to the city...."
José de la Riva Agüero y Osma.
The great majority of churches and convents have suffered restorations and
modifications since their original construction mainly due to destruction caused
Church and Convent
of San Francisco (Ancash Street, 3rd. block)
important religious monument of Lima. Consecrated in 1673, built in 1542 in
Baroque style, of great aesthetic beauty. This group is conformed by the temple,
a convent, the chapels of "La Soledad" and "El Milagro" and
its external little plaza. Under the temple and convent there are underground
galleries transformed into gloomy catacombs that served as a cemetery of Lima
during the viceroyalty. The temple of three naves, an altar completely carved,
beautiful sacristy, wide windows and a rich pictorial collection. The convent
has cloisters, plazas, library and living rooms. The portal is adorned with
authentic Sevillian tiles placed in 1620. It has a "Museo de Arte
Religioso" (religious art museum) and the room Zurbarán with the
collection of the Apostles. Declared "Cultural World Heritage Site" by UNESCO. Restored few years ago with support of
"Banco de Crédito del Perú".
Church and Convent of Santo Domingo
(Conde de Superunda Street, corner with Camaná Street)
Built at the end of the XVI century. In the church, Basilica del Rosario,
the tower has a peculiar architectural style; in the left altar is worshipped
Virgin del Rosario, in the right side are worshipped the Peruvian saints Santa
Rosa de Lima, San Martin de Porres and San Juan Masías. The silver urns
that keep the relics of these saints are under each one of these images. The
convent is one of the best-conserved in Lima. In the cloisters the Baroque style
prevail with morisaca influence, with tile baseboards and decorations in the
Church of San Pedro
(Azángaro Street, corner with Ucayali).
Jesuit temple, built in 1624,
of three naves, with portal exquisitely carved in stone, outstanding for its
arcade and altars made with gold leafs in Churrigueresque Baroque style in its
lateral naves. The altars of San Ignacio de Loyola and of Santa Lucía are
a masterpiece, beautiful colonial paintings in their two chapels. It is the main
temple in Lima and during the Colony was the church of the aristocracy.
Church of La Merced (De la
Built between 1607 and 1615. Temple of three naves, its
portal is a masterpiece carved in granite brought from Panama, with bent columns
of Baroque style. In its interior the walls and archs are decorated with
cushioneds and modillions. In the main altar "Virgen de las Mercedes"
is worshipped with a magnificent gold scepter, Peruvian Landlady of Weapons and
also have the title of Marshal. In the right nave is located the remains of
"Padre Urraca", in scent of sanctity whose cross is venerated being
attributed many miracles.
Church of Jesús,
José (Moquegua Street, corner with Camaná).
This church dates from 1678. Church of a single nave with magnificent
altarpieces carved and covered with gold leafs and pulpit of Baroque style. Next
to the church stands the Convent of the Clarisas Capuchinas.
Church and Sanctuary of Santa
Rosa (Tacna avenue, 1st block)
Built on the place in which
Isabel Flores de Oliva was born (1568-1617), Santa Rosa de Lima was canonized by
the Pope Clemente X in 1671, called the Landlady of Lima, America, Philipines
and Oriental India.
In the garden is conserved the hermitage that Santa Rosa built with the help
of her brother and the well where she threw the key of the chain that stuck to
her waist in sign of penance. All the devoted parishioners who visit this well,
write their wishes on a piece of paper and then throw them to the well
attributing miraculous character.
Church and Convent Las Nazarenas
(Huancavelica Street, corner with Tacna)
Architectural jewel of Rococo
style, built in the XVIII century outside of the walled area, in the
neighborhood of Pachacamilla, place inhabited by black slaves from Angola and
Indians of Pachacámac.
A black slave painted on a wall the image of Christ in the Calvary. Tells the
story that by the middle of the XVI century when Lima was almost destroyed by an
earthquake, the Christ's image on the wall remained intact and it began to be
worshipped. In 1687 another earthquake almost destroyed Lima and again the wall
with the image remained intact gaining fame of miraculous. From then on this
image is the one that has the most devotion in Peru and its festivity is
celebrated and accompanied by hundred of thousands of its devouts. This image
today is also known with the names of "Cristo de Pachacamilla",
"Señor de los Milagros", "Cristo
Morado", or "Cristo de los Temblores" and is the patron of Lima.
On this place, the Viceroy Amat in the XVIII century built the church and its
main altar corresponds to the miraculous wall with the image.
Church of San Sebastián
(Ica Street, 5th block)
Built in 1544, was the first parish of Lima, and
here saints and illustrious Peruvians were baptized as Santa Rosa de Lima, San
Martin de Porres, José Santos Chocano, Francisco Bolognesi, among others.
The temple has been recently restored.
Church of San Agustín
(Ica Street, corner with Camaná)
Built in 1574, of Churrigueresque
portal entirely carved in stone, sacristy with beautiful wooden images, in the
sacristy beautiful decorations made of wood, a baseboard of tiles and an
important carving of "La Muerte" (The Death), masterpiece by the
Peruvian master Baltazar Gavilán
Church of San Marcelo (Rufino
Torrico Street, corner with Emancipación)
Small Augustinian temple,
of a single nave, built by the middle of the XVI century, of facade in
Churrigueresque and Rococo styles.