Daily departures from
Cusco or Lima
Day 1: .... / PUERTO MALDONADO -
- Arrival and Reception by Guide. Our guides are biologists, tourism
professionals, or community members. Unless noted otherwise, our guides
speak English. We assign guides at 10:1 ratio . This means groups smaller
than 10 people will be merged with other groups under one guide. If you
would like a private guide or a guide in a language other than English
please let us know.
- Transfer Airport to Pto Maldonado Headquarters. Upon arrival from Lima
or Cusco, we will welcome you at the airport and drive you ten minutes to
our Puerto Maldonado headquarters. While enjoying your first taste of the
forest in our gardens we will ask you to pack only the necessary gear for
your next few days, and leave the rest at our safe deposit. This helps us
keep the boats and cargo light.
- Puerto Maldonado to Tambopata River Port. Skirting Puerto Maldonado, we
drive 20 kilometers to the Tambopata River Port, entering the Native
Community of Infierno. The port is a communal business.
- Boxed Lunch.
- Tambopata River Port to Posada Amazonas. The forty five minute boat ride
from the Tambopata Port to Posada Amazonas will take us into the Community´s
Primary Forest Private Reserve.
- Orientation. Upon arrival, the lodge manager will welcome you and brief
you with important navigation and security tips.
Canopy tower: A twenty minute walk from Posada Amazonas leads to the 30
meter scaffolding canopy tower. A bannistered staircase running through the
middle provides safe access to the platforms above. From atop you obtain
spectacular views of the vast expanses of standing forest cut by the
Tambopata River winding through the middle. Now and then toucans, parrots or
macaws are seen flying against the horizon, or mixed species canopy flocks
land in the treetop next to you.
- Ecotourism Lecture. A daily presentation on the Infierno ecotourism
project is available every night from a staff member.
- Overnight in Posada Amazonas.
- Tres Chimbadas Oxbow Lake: Tres Chimbadas is thirty minutes by boat and
forty five minutes hiking from Posada Amazonas. Once there you will paddle
around the lake in a catamaran, searching for the resident family of nine
giant river otters (seen by 60% of our lake visitors) and other lakeside
wildlife such as caiman, hoatzin and horned screamers.
- Ethnobotanical Tour: A twenty minute boat drive downriver leads you to a
trail designed by the staff of the Centro Ñape. The Centro Ñape is a
communal organization that produces medicines out of forest plants and
administers them to patients who choose their little clinic. They have
produced a trail which explains the different medicinal (and other) uses of
- Night walk. You will have the option of hiking out at night, when most
of the mammals are active but rarely seen. Much easier to find are frogs
with shapes and sounds as bizarre as their natural histories.
- Overnight in Posada Amazonas
- Parrot clay lick: This clay lick is only a twenty minute walk from
Posada Amazonas. From a blind located about twenty meters away you will see
dozens of parrots and parakeets descend on most clear mornings to ingest the
clay on a river bank. Species such as Mealy and Yellow- headed Amazon,
Blue-headed Parrot and Dusky headed Parakeet descend at this clay lick. The
clay lick is active at dawn, during the late mornings and mid-afternoons.
- Ceiba Trail Hike: We leave from the lobby at Posada Amazonas and embark
on a two hour hike crowned by the largest tree in the vicinity: a giant
ceiba tree. During the hike we will focus on the natural history of the rain
forest and its principal taxonomic groups.
- Farm Visit. A thirty minute boat drive downriver takes us to the most
complete farm in the community of Infierno. The owner grows a diverse
variety of popular and unknown Amazon crops. In his garden, just about every
plant and tree serves a purpose.
- Overnight in Posada Amazonas
/ PUERTO MALDONADO / .... (B)
- Transfer Boat - Posada Amazonas to Tambopata River Port.
- Transfer Tambopata River Port to Pto Maldonado Headquarters.
- Transfer Pto Maldonado Headquarters - Airport. We retrace our river and
road journey back to Puerto Maldonado, our office and the airport. Depending
on airline schedules, this may require dawn departures.
Programmes based on double occupancy. Includes all meal, accommodations, and
services, all river transportation, and transfer from and to the airport of
International or domestic airfares, airport departure taxes or visa fees, excess
baggage charges, additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations,
alcoholic beverages or bottled water, snacks, insurance of any kind, laundry,
phone calls or messages, reconfirmation of flights and items of personal nature.
All our boats are 20 foot long, roofed canoes with 55 hp outboard motors. Daily
arrivals and departures from every port are scheduled to meet every airline´s
arrival and departure with a maximum two hour wait.
We reserve the right to change the order of activities.