How to Arrive to Puno City
Where is Peru?: At 1'285,220 sq. Km, Peru is the third-largest country in South America, it limits to the north with Ecuador, to the northeast with Colombia, to the east with Brazil, to the southeast with Bolivia, to the south with Chile and to the west with the Pacific Ocean.
International airlines operate scheduled flights to Peru's Jorge Chávez International Airport, located in Lima - Peru.
From New York - Newark, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, Mexico and Toronto exist direct flights to Lima.
From Europe exist direct flights to Lima from Madrid, Paris and Amsterdam.
Peru has direct flights from the main cities in Latin America as Bogota, Buenos Aires, Caracas, Guayaquil, La Habana, La Paz, Mexico, Panama, Quito, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, Sao Paulo, San Jose de Costa Rica, Santo Domingo.
Flights from Asia or Oceania to Peru, connection by USA or Europe.
Jorge Chávez Airport (LIM Airport Code) in Lima is the main gate for international flights and it's the main hub to local flights connections.
How to arrive to Puno City
The best and fast option to arrive to Puno is by air. From Lima to Puno there are 1,315 Km (817 miles) and need 20 hours for a bus trip, and 1:20 hour by air. Also by bus and train services. In the last years, Puno has become an alternative point of entrance to Peru, especially for tourist who after visiting Bolivia enter by the highway La Paz / Desaguadero / Puno or La Paz / Copacabana / Puno.
The Juliaca's International Airport Inca Manco Cápac (JUL Airport Code), small, with comfortable facilities, receive regular domestic flights from Lima, Cuzco, and Arequipa. The airport is located 5 Km from Juliaca City and 44 Km (27.3 miles) to the north of Puno city.
At the airport there are services of taxi service and shuttle service for transfers to Puno City and Desaguadero, on the border with Bolivia. The ttaxis with an average cost of US $ 25; in shuttle with an average cost of US $ 8 per person. The main hotels in Puno have transport to the airport.
Another option to arrive to Puno is by bus. There are daily bus services on the routes from Lima to Puno (connection in Arequipa), from Cuzco to Puno and from Arequipa to Puno. Also the tourist bus services with stopover and guided tours on routes between Cuzco to Puno and Puno / Colca Valley / Arequipa.
- Itineraries, fares and booking bus to Puno
- Tourist bus with tours (route Cuzco / Puno)
- Tourist bus with tours (route Puno to Colca Valley or route Puno to Arequipa)
From the city of Puno three main highways exist:
Puno - Cuzco: (3S) Lap Puno - Juliaca 44 Km. (27.3 miles); Lap Juliaca - Cuzco 345 Km. (214.4 miles); the highest point (La Raya) of this highway reaches the 4,313 meters above sea level (14,150 feet) - 7 hours aprox. by bus.
Puno - Arequipa: (3S - 34A) From Puno to Juliaca 44 Km. (27.3 miles), from Juliaca to Arequipa 281 Km. (174.6 miles), in some points this road reaches up to 4,690 meters above sea level (15,387 feet). It is the advisable route if you want to arrive by bus from Lima to Arequipa 1,009 Km. (627 miles) or any city on the Pan-American Highway.
Puno - Desaguadero - La Paz: (3S) Going by the sides of the Lake Titicaca. It goes by the cities of Chucuito 20 Km. (12.42 miles), Juli 80 Km. (49.7 miles), Pomata 105 Km. (65.2 miles) to Desagüadero 148 Km. (91.9 miles) border with Bolivia, and to arrive to La Paz (Bolivia) from Guaqui (frontier with Peru), 112 Km.s (69.6 miles).
Distances from Puno city to:
- Juli (Province of Chucuito) 79 Km. (49 miles) / 1 hour and 20 minutes
- Ilave (Province of El Collao) 54 Km. (34 miles) / 1 hour
- Huancane (Province of Huancane) 99 Km. (62 miles) / 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Lampa (Province of Lampa) 80 Km. (50 miles) / 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Ayaviri (Province of Melgar) 137 Km. (85 miles) / 2 hours and 45 minutes
- Moho (Province of Moho) 138 Km. (86 miles) / 3 hours
- Putina (Province of San Antonio de Putina) 124 Km. (77 miles) / 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Juliaca (Province of San Roman) 44 Km. (27 miles) / 45 minutes
- Sandia (Province of Sandia) 272 Km. (169 miles) / 9 hours
- Yunguyo (Province of Yunguyo) 128 Km. (80 miles) / 2 hours and 30 minutes (connection to Copacabana, Bolivia)
- Azangaro (Province of Azangaro) 148 Km. (92 miles) / 2 hours and 15 minutes
- Macuzani (Province of Carabaya) 255 Km. (158 miles) / 7 hours)
In the port of Puno exist medium crafts that carry out trips to Bolivian ports; additionally regular transport exists from Juli and Yunguyo to Bolivian ports. These trips are carried out amid wonderful landscapes on the highest navigable lake in the world, the Titicaca, and in modern crafts like yachts and catamarans with good service aboard. It can be an unforgettable experience. Also from Puno you will be able to take smaller crafts that carry out rides and tours to the islands of the Uros, of Taquile and Amantani, and others offer a journey by the areas of the Natural Reserve of the Titicaca.
Puno has all the modern means of communication in telephony, mail, television, cable television, fax, connections to Internet, courier services.