Archaeological Places in Puno
Located at 34 Km (21 miles) north of Puno (35 minutes by car), on the highway Puno - Juliaca, on a deviation to the west. Sillustani is located beside the Umayo Lagoon. Archaeological pre-Inca complex, construction of big "chullpas" with square or round shape, of stone and adobe, large circular fortified burial towers for the main leaders of the early villages of the Collao plateau. Sillustani is characterized to have the most perfect chullpas in the whole Peru; they have cylindrical shape that can reach up to 12 m. of height, made in granite with varied internal distribution. In all the chullpas mummified cadavers have been found.
A chullpa is a funeral monument, original of the Aymara culture, in tower form with a very small door that only allows the entrance to trails; created for the funeral of the big gentlemen with his family and belongings; usually built in arrays and symmetrically aligned.
Located at 107 Km (66 miles) north of Puno (1 hour and 45 minutes by car) and 1 Km (0.6 mile) from Pucará town (5 minutes by car) in Lampa province. Ceremonial center of the Pucará culture, which reached its peak between 250 B.C. and 380 A.D., the complex was built around 200 B.C. Two sectors can be distinguished: a ceremonial area composed by nine pyramids, and an urban zone. Here remains of a great military religious center and a citadel are located, built in stone and adobe. Temple, mortuary cameras, sculptures of human and animal figure, trails and sculpted pottery. Here it had been located ceramic that is characterized to have wide openings and vases with base. (from Quecha pukara "fortress").
The Museo Lítico (Pucará Lithic Museum), displaying a group of stone monolith-like sculptures, steles, zoomorphic sculptures, ceramics, and other objects, is also worth a visit.
Near this complex is located the town in which the famous "Pucará's bulls" are marketed, typical handmade pieces of ceramic of this area.
Cutimbo Archeological Complex
The turnoff to the complex is located near kilometer marker 17 of the Puno - Moquegua Highway, south of Puno (20 minutes by car).
It is a pre-Hispanic cemetery that belonged to the Lupaca and Colla Lordships. Although there is evidence of 8,000 years old rock-art, the main structures date from 1100 A.D. to 1450 A.D. There are also Inca archeological remnants. The chullpas or pucullos, large fortified burial towers, overlook the landscape.