This Quechua word means "talkative". In Quechua language the initial " r " was pronounced with the same sound that the simple "r" in Spanish, and not as the intermediate " rr ", that is the reason why the first Spanish columnists of the conquest produced the corruption, replacing the "r" for "l" having this way the word "Lima" for "Rímac", since the foundation of the city. Rímac was the god of the oracles of the pre-Hispanic inhabitants of this valley; this God had a very magnificent temple at the arrival of the Spaniards.
Lima was founded in the valley of Rímac, in the south bank of the river. During the Colony an urban center was developed in the north bank, called "Under the Bridge", today it has the name Rímac, and it is the oldest and traditional district in the city of Lima, it has beautiful colonial constructions.
Known as the district "under the bridge", this is one of the most traditional areas of the downtown Lima and features streets that are notably Sevillian in style. Located on the banks of the Rímac river, on the other side from the original city center, Rímac was known in colonial times as the Barrio de Indios San Lázaro (Indians' quarter), and is linked to the city by centuries-old bridges. The cradle of Creole culture, Rímac is home to some of Lima's best-known Creole clubs, or peñas, and traditional restaurants. The district features some extraordinary spots like the Alameda de los Descalzos, the Paseo de Aguas, the Quinta Presa and several squares and churches. In addition, Rímac is home to the Plaza de Acho (1768), one of the oldest bullrings in the Americas. Every October, Acho hosts the famous Señor de los Milagros bullfight season, which draws many of the world's top bullfighters to participate.
Cerro San Cristóbal (San Cristóbal Hill)
Like the Rímac River, this hill is intimately linked with the history of the city of the Lima. It rises above the city with a large illuminated cross on its summit, as if standing guard, with the arms of the cross stretched out to protect the inhabitants of the city. An annual pilgrimage to hilltop, with Stations of the Cross. The hill now has an attractive observation point, accessed by a good road, and from their visitors can have a panoramic view of the Lima City. A museum exhibits old photograph of the area and representations of typical characters such as the street hawkers, sellers of chicha (Peruvian maize drink), etc. Visits: Tuesday to Sunday 09:00 to 22:00).
Puente de Piedra (Bridge of Stone)
Bridge built in 1608 by the architect Juan del Corral to join Lima with Rímac. It was the only link between the two banks of the Rimac River until President José Balta's government (1868). Arches and buttresses support the bridge. Stone masonry mortar mixed with the whites of sea birds' eggs is believed to have been used in the construction.
"Alameda de Los Descalzos" (Boulevard of the Barefooted)
Jewel of the colonial architecture, built in 1611 by the architect Juan del Corral. In 1856 President Ramón Castilla gave it a new line, fencing it with an iron gate, ornamental jardinieres of English iron and 12 statues of Italian marble that represent the months of the year, streetlights and benches. In its contour are located the churches "Patrocinio" (1734), "Santa Liberata" (XVIII century), and the Convent of "Los Descalzos" (XV century).
Museum of the "Convento de los Descalzos"
Location: Alameda de los Descalzos N° 202, Rímac.
Attention: Tues. – Sun. 10:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M.
Exhibition of valuable paintings and colonial religious articles. The Church and Convent "de los Descalzos" date from ends of the XV century. It is characterized by its large and peaceful rooms where valuable paintings of the Lima, Cusco, and Quito Schools are preserved
"Paseo de Aguas" (Walk of Waters)
Another masterpiece of the colonial architecture, built by the Viceroy Amat y Junyet. Aqueducts systems, fountains, cascades that should were fed by the waters of the Rímac River leading into an ornamental fountain. In the course of the time it has suffered transformations that have varied its original aspect.
Taurine bullring built in 1766 by order of the Viceroy Amat y Junyet with Hipólito Landáburu's support. It is the third oldest plaza of the world and considered the most beautiful and famous. There had been the best bullfighters of the entire world. Every year here takes place the traditional bullfight Fair of "Señor de los Milagros" (October - November), in which are carried out bullfights with the best bullfighters in the world of the present time, having as main trophy "El Escapulario de Oro" (The Scapular of Gold). Annex to the Plaza de Acho is located the Taurine Museum, the attention is from Monday to Saturday from 09:00 to 14:00, and it exhibits collections of taurine paintings, suits, trophies and pictures on the history and facts of Acho.
Quinta de Presa - Museo del Virreynato
Country colonial large house, of Rococo style, built in 1760, attributing its design to the Viceroy Amat y Junyet. It is the only one in this type that is conserved. Declared as National Monument.
In 1920, it became the "Museo del Virreinato" (Viceroyalty Museum) , where collections of paintings, clothes, furniture, and objects of the Spanish viceroyalty in Peru are exhibited.