Religious Monuments of Lima Downtown
"In their biggest part built during the seventeenth century, they participate more or less, of the frizzy Churrigueresque style that, sometimes, coexists and contrasts in a strange way with the severe style of the Spanish Renaissance. .... With the pompous size altars, the profusion of golden of Solomonic columns, the ornamentation of round and bent unlikely lines, our churches raise the old women image that conserved and used the bustles and complicated knots, their remote youth's extravagant fashion. In any event they possess historical character and they communicate it to the city...." José de la Riva Agüero y Osma.
The great majority of churches and convents have suffered restorations and modifications since their original construction mainly due to destruction caused by earthquakes.
These are the main Religious Monuments located in the Historical Center of the Lima City:
Jirón Ancash, block 3. Visiting hours: Mon. – Sun. 9:30 A.M. – 5:30 P.M. Most important religious monument of Lima. Consecrated in 1,673, built in 1,542 in Baroque style, of great aesthetic beauty. This group is conformed by the temple, a convent, the chapels of "La Soledad" and "El Milagro" and its external little plaza. Under the temple and convent there are underground galleries transformed into gloomy catacombs that served as a cemetery of Lima during the viceroyalty. The temple of three naves, an altar completely carved, beautiful sacristy, wide windows and a rich pictorial collection. The convent has cloisters, plazas, library and living rooms. The portal is adorned with authentic Sevillian tiles placed in 1620. It has a "Museo de Arte Religioso" (Religious Art Museum) and the room Zurbarán with the collection of the Apostles. Restored few years ago with support of "Banco de Crédito del Perú". Cultural World Heritage Site - UNESCO. (Photo Gallery of San Francisco, Church, Convent and catacombs)
Intersection of Jirón Conde de Superunda y Jr. Camaná. Visiting hours: Mon. – Sat. 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. and 3:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M. Sunday and holidays: 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. Built at the end of the XVI century. In the church, Basílica del Rosario, the tower has a peculiar architectural style; in the left altar is worshipped Virgin del Rosario, in the right side are worshipped the Peruvian saints Santa Rosa de Lima, San Martin de Porres and San Juan Masías. The silver urns that keep the relics of these saints are under each one of these images. The church has three naves with an impressive cupola and finely carved cedar pews in the choir. The convent is one of the best-conserved in Lima. In the cloisters the Baroque style prevail with Moorish influence, with tile baseboards and decorations in the windows.
Jirón Ucayali N° 451. Visiting hours: Mon. – Sun. 9:30 A.M. – 11:45 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M. Jesuit temple, built in 1624, of three naves, with portal exquisitely carved in stone, outstanding for its arcade and altars made with gold leafs in Churrigueresque Baroque style in its lateral naves. The altars of San Ignacio de Loyola and of Santa Lucía are a masterpiece, beautiful colonial paintings in their two chapels. It is the main temple in Lima and during the Colony was the church of the aristocracy. There are many works of art from the Lima, Cusco, and Quito Schools, a series of gilded carvings of the founders of some religious orders, and a painting of the coronation of the Virgin by Bernardo Bitti.
Jirón De la Unión N° 621. Visiting hours: Mon. – Sun. 8:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. Built between 1607 and 1615. Temple of three naves, its portal is a masterpiece carved in granite brought from Panama, with bent columns of Baroque style. In its interior the walls and arches are decorated with cushioned and modillions. In the main altar the image of "Virgen de las Mercedes" is worshipped with a magnificent gold scepter, Peruvian Landlady of Weapons and also have the title of Marshal. In the right nave is located the remains of "Padre Urraca", in scent of sanctity whose cross is venerated being attributed many miracles, and according to the stories, he used to exorcise the devil.
Church of Jesús, María and José
Intersection of Jirón Moquegua and and Jirón Camaná. This church dates from 1678. Church of a single nave with magnificent altarpieces carved and covered with gold leafs and pulpit of Baroque style. Next to the church stands the Convent of the Clarisas Capuchinas.
Avenida Tacna, block 1; 4 blocks from the Main Square. Visiting hours: Mon. – Sun. 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. and 3:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M. Built on the place in which Isabel Flores de Oliva was born (1568-1617), Santa Rosa de Lima was canonized by the Pope Clemente X in 1671, called the Landlady of Lima, America, Philippines and Oriental India. In the garden is conserved the hermitage that Santa Rosa built with the help of her brother and the well where she threw the key of the chain that stuck to her waist in sign of penance. All the devoted parishioners who visit this well, write their wishes on a piece of paper and then throw them to the well attributing miraculous character.
Intersection of Jirón Huancavelica and Jirón Tacna. Visiting hours: 7:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. – 8:30 P.M. Architectural jewel of Rococo style, built in the XVIII century outside of the walled area, in the neighborhood of Pachacamilla, place inhabited by black slaves from Angola and Indians of Pachacámac. A black slave painted on a wall the image of Christ in the Calvary. Tells the story that by the middle of the XVI century when Lima was almost destroyed by an earthquake, the Christ's image on the wall remained intact and it began to be worshipped. In 1687 another earthquake almost destroyed Lima and again the wall with the image remained intact gaining fame of miraculous. From then on this image is the one that has the most devotion in Peru and its festivity is celebrated and accompanied by hundred of thousands of its devotes. This image today is also known with the names of "Cristo de Pachacamilla", "Señor de los Milagros", "Cristo Morado", or "Cristo de los Temblores" and is the patron of Lima. On this place, the Viceroy Amat in the XVIII century built the church and its main altar corresponds to the miraculous wall with the image.
Church of San Sebastián
Jirón Ica, block 5. Built in 1544, its construction is attributed to Francisco Becerra, was the first parish of Lima, and here saints and illustrious Peruvians were baptized as Santa Rosa de Lima, San Martín de Porres, José Santos Chocano, Francisco Bolognesi, among others important people. The temple has been recently restored.
Church and Convent of San Agustín
Intersection of Jirón Ica and Jirón Camaná. Built in 1574, of Churrigueresque portal entirely carved in stone, sacristy with beautiful wooden images, in the sacristy beautiful decorations made of wood, a baseboard of tiles and an important carving of "La Muerte" (The Death), masterpiece by the Peruvian master Baltazar Gavilán (XVIII Century)
Church of San Marcelo
Intersection of Rufino Torrico St. and Emancipación Av. Small Augustinian temple, of a single nave, built by the middle of the XVI century, of facade in Churrigueresque and Rococo styles.