How to Arrive to Cuzco City
How to get to Cuzco
Where is Peru?: At 1'285,220 sq. Km, Peru is the third-largest country in South America, it limits to the north with Ecuador, to the northeast with Colombia, to the east with Brazil, to the southeast with Bolivia, to the south with Chile and to the west with the Pacific Ocean.
International airlines operate scheduled flights to Peru's Jorge Chávez International Airport, located in Lima - Peru.
- From New York - Newark, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, Mexico and Toronto exist direct flights to Lima.
- From Europe exist direct flights to Lima from Madrid, Paris and Amsterdam.
- Peru has direct flights from the main cities in Latin America as Bogota, Buenos Aires, Caracas, Guayaquil, La Habana, La Paz, Mexico, Panama, Quito, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, Sao Paulo, San Jose de Costa Rica, Santo Domingo.
- Flights from Asia or Oceania to Peru, connection by USA or Europe.
Jorge Chávez International Airport (LIM airport code) in Lima is the main gate for international flights and it's the main hub to local flights connections.
How to arrive to Cuzco City
The best and fast option to arrive to Cuzco is by air. From Lima to Cuzco there are 1,165 Km (724 miles) and need 20 hours for a bus trip, and 1 hour by air. You can get your connection from Lima to Cuzco by plane or bus. There is also transportation by train from Puno.
The Cuzco's International Airport Teniente Alejandro Velasco Astete (CUZ Airport Code), with comfortable installations, receive several daily flights from Lima (approximate flight time, 55 minutes), Arequipa, Juliaca (Puno - Lake Titicaca area), and Puerto Maldonado (Tambopata). Also international flights Cuzco / La Paz, Bolivia.
From Cuzco's airport there are several daily flights from / to Lima (approximate flight time, 55 minutes). There are also flights from / to Arequipa, Juliaca (Puno - Lake Titicaca area), and Puerto Maldonado (Tambopata). Also flights Cuzco - La Paz, Bolivia.
There are three main routes from Cuzco city, from Nazca (26A-3S), from Puno (3S) and Arequipa (34A-3S), and from Puerto Maldonado (Interoceanic). The route Cuzco / Nazca / Lima is the more used for tourist by bus.
HIGWAYS: From Cuzco city starts highways that goes through the south of the country reaching Lima - Nazca, Arequipa, and Puno, and continue to Desaguadero - Bolivia, this highways or roads connect with the Pan-American Highway.
Highway Lima / Nazca / Cuzco: Lap Lima - Nazca 460 Km. (286 miles) by Pan-American Highway (1S) and connect with road Nazca - Abancay - Cuzco (26A-3S) 705 Km (438 miles) - 20 hours aprox. by bus. (See special tour with bus service, stopover in Nazca for overflight Nazca Lines and continue to Cuzco)
Highway (or Train) Cuzco / Puno: (3S) Lap Cuzco - Juliaca 345 Km. (214.4 miles); Lap Juliaca - Puno 44 Km. (27.3 miles); the highest point of this highway reaches the 4,313 meters above sea level (14,150 feet) - 7 hours aprox. by bus.(See special tour with bus service, 5 stopover with guide tours)
Highway Cuzco / Arequipa: Passing through Juliaca (34A-3S), 625 Km. (388 miles) 10 hours aprox. by bus.
The Interoceanic Highway or Trans-oceanic highway: Is an international, transcontinental highway in Peru and Brazil. From Cuzco - Urcos you can travel to Puerto Maldonado (Tambopata) and continue to Inambari - Iñapari border with Brazil. This new highway entails the renovation and construction of roughly 2,600 kilometers of roads and 22 bridges. When completed, it will create a connected highway from the Peruvian ports of San Juan de Marcona, Matarani, and Ilo to the Brazilian ports of Rio de Janeiro and Santos, although the project almost exclusively involves construction in Peru because of Brazil's already well developed road system.
Distances from the city of Cuzco:
- Acomayo (Province of Acomayo) 104,5 km (65 miles) / 3 hours
- Anta (Province of Anta) 26 km (16 miles) / 30 minutes
- Calca (Province of Calca) 50 km (31 miles) / 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Yanaoca (Province of Canas) 165 km (103 miles) / 3 hours
- Sicuani (Province of Canchis) 138 km (86 miles) / 2 hours
- Santo Tomás (Province of Chumbivilcas) 240 km (149 miles) / 10 hours
- Yauri (Province of Espinar) 241 km (150 miles) / 7 hours
- Quillabamba (Province of La Convención) 210 km (130 miles) / 6 hours
- Paruro (Province of Paruro) 64 km (40 miles) / 2 hours
- Paucartambo (Province of Paucartambo) 109 km (68 miles) / 3 hours
- Urcos (Province of Quispicanchi) 46 km (29 miles) / 40 minutes
- Urubamba (Province of Urubamba) 78 km (48 miles) / 1 hour and 25 minutes
- Itineraries, fares and booking from Cuzco to Puno
- Itineraries, fares and booking from Cuzco to Machu Picchu
Communication Services in Cuzco
Cuzco counts with all the services available, telephone, mail, cable television, fax, connections to Internet and courier services.