Religious Monuments of Ayacucho"Ayacucho the city of the churches"
You can easily picture, the diversity of sounds from bells in the churches, Spaniards, indigenous, artisans, and artists during colonial times. Héctor Velarde, an important architect, quoted: "Influence from the coast, Lima, and the Andes, Cusco, made a great mixture of styles in architecture of this city". Ayacucho, during better times was very proud of having the prettiest churches in Peru. That is why it is considered as the city of the churches.
Located in front of the Plaza de Armas (Main Square). The construction of this temple was started in 1632, sober architecture, with three naves and front built with stone. With important and beautiful colonial remains. Outstanding "retablos" from Virgen de la Asunción, Virgen de la Concepción, as well as Retablos of the Niño Llorón, and Señor de Burgos. These retablos are carved in wood and covered with gold leaves. There are also very important paintings.
Templo de San Cristóbal (Saint Christopher Temple)
Located at 28 de Julio Street, block 6. It does not have the architectonic nor artistic value as the other temples or churches in Ayacucho, but it is also considered important because it was the first in being built by the Spaniards (1540). Inside the church are found the remains of some Spanish conquerors that died in the battle of Chupas (1542).
Iglesia y Convento de La Merced (Church and Convent de La Merced)
Located at Dos de Mayo Street, block 2. It was the second temple built in Ayacucho (1550). Very antique pieces of the Peruvian colonial art are found there such as Virgen de la Merced, San Pedro de Nolasco, la Dolorosa, and others. The temple was built with only one nave, and the walls as well as the front were built with gray stone and lime. There is an important door at the front of the temple and statues sculpted in rock. There are many colonial paintings inside. Next to the temple there is a Convent, built in 1540, one of the oldest built in the country.
Iglesia y Monasterio de Santa Clara (Church and Monastery)
The outsides of the temple give the appearance of being very poor. It is adorned with two columns, built with carved stone and lime. In its interior can be found the image of Jesús de Nazareno, Master of the city, which congregates each year thousands of pilgrims during its religious feasts. In 1568, Antonio Oré, founded the monastery, it hosted his five religious daughters.
Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco de Asís (Church and Convent)
Located at 28 de Julio Street, block 3. Built in 1568. Outstanding its huge dimension considered as one of the most importance of the country. The carved altars are very pretty and well kept. It holds a collection of paintings and retablos of authentic artistic value. Made out of stone, with only one tower having a very simple front. The convent (1642) has a calm and peace atmosphere, with many cloisters, gardens and orchard. Also found a valuable library with very old books from the Colony.
Iglesia y Convento de Santo Domingo (Church and Convent)
Located at 9 de Diciembre Street, block 2. Built between the XVI and XVII centuries using the baroque style. This church is one of the prettiest of the city, with a beautiful front that has a stone carved cross. Traditions tell that during colonial times it was used for mass. The convent was founded in 1548.
Templo de la Compañía de Jesús (Temple)
Located at 28 de Julio Street, block 1. Jesuit temple of only one nave, built in 1605. It was built with a mixture of architectural styles. The front was decorated with pink flowers carved in stone. Outstanding in its interior the wood carved altars, sculptures and paintings from Colonial times.
Iglesia y Convento de San Agustín (Church and Convent)
Located in Asamblea Street, block 1. This temple is a Colonial temple that keeps the history of Ayacucho. Built in stone in 1615. The Convent was founded 1637 by Fray Lucas de Segura.
Templo y Monasterio de Santa Teresa (Temple and Monastery)
The temple was built with a sober style. The interior of the temple is considered as a masterpiece. The main altar and the choir were carved in wood with encrusted pearls and shells. It has a great collection of paintings. The monastery, of Carmel Nuns, was founded in 1690.
Templo de la Buena Muerte (Temple)
Located in the Jr. Arequipa. Built in 1726 and been founded in 1741. It possesses a closet in the sacristy that is a work of art in the wooden size.