How to Arrive to Ayacucho City
Where is Peru?: At 1'285,220 sq. Km, Peru is the third-largest country in South America, it limits to the N with Ecuador, to the NE with Colombia, to the E with Brazil, to the SE with Bolivia, to the S with Chile and to the W with the Pacific Ocean.
International airlines operate scheduled flights to Peru's Jorge Chávez International Airport, located in Lima - Peru.
- From New York - Newark, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, Mexico and Toronto exist direct flights to Lima.
- From Europe exist direct flights to Lima from Madrid, Paris and Amsterdam.
- Peru has direct flights from the main cities in Latin America as Bogota, Buenos Aires, Caracas, Guayaquil, La Habana, La Paz, Mexico, Panama, Quito, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, Sao Paulo, San Jose de Costa Rica, Santo Domingo.
- Flights from Asia or Oceania to Peru, connection by USA or Europe.
Jorge Chávez Airport (LIM) in Lima is the main gate for international flights and it's the main hub to local flights connections.
How to arrive to Ayacucho City
When coming to Ayacucho from abroad, it is advisable to first arrive to the city of Lima. Then by terrestrial or airways, you can connect with Ayacucho.
The highway called "Vía de Los Libertadores" is the most commonly used and advisable, because of the conditions in which it is. It is connected to the Pan American Highway in the city of San Clemente, Pisco. In the city of Lima, you can take tourists buses to Ayacucho. It is a comfortable trip that takes an average of twelve hours. If you are choosing this alternative, we recommend the visit to the city of Paracas and Tambo Colorado archaeological complex , located on the way.
- From Lima (by Pisco): 575 Km. (357 miles)
- From Pisco (using the highway of Los Libertadores): 314 Km. (195 miles) The route is the following, San Clemente - Pámpano - Huaytará - Ayacucho (Abra Apacheta 4,750 meters above sea level - 15,584 feet the highest point of the route)
- From Huancayo: 361 Km. (224 miles), the route is the following, Huancayo - Izcuchaca - Mayocc - Huanta - Ayacucho (The highway here is not advisable, not in well condition)
The city of Ayacucho has an airport "Coronel FAP Alfredo Mendívil" (Airport Code AYA). It is a small airport with comfortable facilities. There are regular flights from / to Lima, very early in the mornings. The average flight time is of 35 minutes.
Means of Communication
Ayacucho counts with all kind of communication means.